[pure-silver] Re: Measuring low levels of silver in fixer

  • From: John Stockdale <j.sto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 19:11:40 +1000

Has the local government authority put a quantity limit in place? If not, just dilute it to ensure that it's under 50ppm.

john s

Peter Badcock wrote:
Sorry for the cross post if any of you also read APUG, but I'll post conclusions to both lists.

So I've searched APUG, pure_silver and the 'net but to little avail. Can folks please list me a few different inexpensive and relatively easy methods to measure/test when the silver in my (yet to be processed/recovered) fixing solution is below 50ppm ? Then my local government authority will permit it to be discarded down the drain.

Some ideas include measuring the conductivity of the sol'n (assuming I am testing for dissolved silver). Also perhaps Colorimetry. No test strips will test such low levels of silver.

rgds
Peter