[pure-silver] Re: Measuring low levels of silver in fixer

  • From: Howard Efner <hfefner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 09:00:24 -0700

On Jan 31, 2010, at 12:35 AM, Peter Badcock wrote:
Can folks please list me a few different inexpensive and relatively easy methods to measure/test when the silver in my (yet to be processed/recovered) fixing solution is below 50ppm ?
rgds
Peter

Peter, see if your library has or can get Scott's _Standard Methods of Analysis_. It is the Bible of classical analytical techniques. Two possibilities would be a Volhard titration ( standardized ammonium thiocyanate and a iron indicator - silver thiocyanate precipitates until the end point then the red iron thiocyanate complex is formed to indicate the end point.) I do not know if it is sensitive enough for 50 ppm. Ion chromatography is a possibility but the equipment is not cheap.

Looks like this is another application of the impossible triad:

GOOD
FAST
CHEAP

Pick any two.