[pure-silver] Re: Measuring low levels of silver in fixer

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 06:16:23 -0500

On Monday, February 01, 2010, at 03:49AM, "Peter Badcock"
<peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't think increasing the amount of potassium Iodide will help.
 In any chemical reaction there is generally one limiting component and
everything else is present "to excess".  What might work would be looking for
the milkiness with something like a laser pointer, as this could increase your
ability to pick it up with low concentrations of silver present.
If I was testing for this I would do the following.
Make up a fix solution and divide it into two parts.
In one part fix to completion enough paper to reach the target concentration of
silver.  Assume all all the silver is fixed and goes into solution, if this
assumption is not true, you are erring on the side of caution.
Add the hypo-check to both parts of the fix, i.e. that with and without added
silver, and then place both samples in front of a dark background.  Then shine
a laser pointer through the solution and see if its significantly more visible
in the solution with dissolved silver.
If so, you may have the basis for a valid test.
Substituting Sodium chloride for the Potassium Iodide, wont work as silver
chloride is much more soluble than silver iodide, which is the precipitate you
see in the first test.

I hope this helps,
All the best
Larry Cuffe