[pure-silver] Re: Holy Jesus Ilford bumped its prices

  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:54:32 -0400

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 11:31, Brian Reynolds wrote:
> Nick Zentena wrote:
> >     Those filters should drive up the price of colour heads. Or at
> > least gel filters. $115??? For what size?  Yikes. Anybody want to
> > make up a list of Rosco filters that would come close?
>
> The September/October 2005 issue of Photo Techniques has an article by
> Howard Bond titled "Variable-Contrast Printing and Rosco Filters".
> That sounds just like what you're looking for.  He suggested using the
> Rosco Calcolor 15Y, 30Y, 60Y, 90Y, 15M, 30M, 60M, and 90M filters.
> The article explains how he made those coices, and how to test for
> your own use.

        I wasn't thinking so much for me. I use a colour head and before that
just
used a deep blue and a deep green. IIRC something like #359 and something in
the 60s. Worked great for spilt filtering. I stopped in a shop today and the
6x6 Ilford filters were over $60.  Could buy all eight of the filters you
listed in 20x24" size for about the same money. Keep them in the dark so they
don't fade and that's a lot of filters.

        Nick