[pure-silver] Re: Holy Jesus Ilford bumped its prices

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:21:48 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Zentena" <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 2:38 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Holy Jesus Ilford bumped its prices

On Tuesday 25 October 2005 16:26, Edward C. Zimmermann wrote:
There are loads of excellent paper developer formulas out there..
Most of the packaged one these days tend to be either MQ or PQ formulas..
I think the Ilford is a PQ probably not unlike the Champion Multispeed
developer.. A box (2x5 litre jugs) should last some time and should be
cheaper.. The Ilford stuff is anyway now from Champion :-)

Scratch is, however, also cheap... For that money one could get a pound of
metol, 50g of Phenidone or Dimezone and some Hydroquinone or some Ascorbic
acid and a few other cheap bits to make perhaps a years worth of
developer.. and have a much better shelf-life (properly stored Metol, for
instance, can keep for a millenia).......

So does anybody have any idea what is/was in Agfa Multicontrast? Why it kept
forever?

Nick

This seems to be a characteristic of all Agfa papers. I have no idea what stabilizers were used. I am currently using some Agfa Brovira that is probably more than 20 years old and has been stored at room temperature. No fog or apparent loss of contrast or speed. At least some ingredients of paper emulsion, like Cadmium compounds, have been removed because of environmental concerns. I think this is more a problem of using the stuff in manufacturing than the small amounts in the emulsion.

---