[pure-silver] Re: Cable Releases

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:46:53 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter De Smidt" <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2005 7:24 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Cable Releases

Michael Healy wrote:

A longer throw? I've never heard this term before. Do you mean the length of the metal rod that gets thrust into the shutter?
Mike

Yep. For example, us used to have an Ilex shutter that my cable release that I had then wouldn't fire. The one's I'm recommending have plenty of travel.

-Peter

This seems to be a mostly a problem with certain Ilex shutters. One thing to look for in an Ilex is a missing plunger rod inside the cable release socket. If its gone the cable release must reach into the socket far enough to actuate a lever under it. This can also cause jams. The cure is to replace the plunger with a bit of brass rod the right diameter with the inside end swaged so that it can not come out the threaded opening.
Note also that Ilex, Wollensak, and Kodak shutters have straight sided threads for the cable release while Compur and most European shutters have a tapered thread. This should not make a practical difference, tapered cable releases will thread far enough into the straight socket to work. Sometime Kodak type cable releases will not thread into Compur type sockets far enough to be secure, but they are rather rare. Japanese made cable releases all seem to be of the Compur variety.
---