[projectaon] Re: gamebook.js update: FotW now fully implemented

  • From: Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:02:29 +1300

congrats.
I havent played all the way through (as I died trying to pick the lock in the captains room). In section 315 i typed "hint" thinking it would give me all the options (upon reading the help i later discovered the command i wanted was "cheat"/"choices") and selected the option to open the chest. In my defence i thought that my Sixth Sense would warn me it was a dumb idea (but turns out its Mind Over Matter that saves your skin). So no fault at your end - I just didnt read the help properly and everything played out as it should have.

I thought the combat(s) I did come across played out very well.
Random number selection was also implemented well.

A couple of options I would like would be to have the option of toggling the choices on all the time (rather than having to type cheat/choices), and the option to display images inline (rather than having to click on them and display them in another window). I know this completely goes against what you were originally trying to accomplish (ie text-only IF), but your gamebook.js just makes playing the book so damn easy - dont have to track anything (unlike the javascript action chart http://www.projectaon.org/staff/eric/) and unlike Seventh Sense combat resolves quickly (havent even tried Magnamund Commander as I get an error every time I try to register my account).

Anyway, congrats once again.

On 13/03/13 12:19, Christian Jauvin wrote:
Hi all,

Just a note to announce that I have finished the implementation of
FotW for my gamebook.js engine, which is now fully complete and
playable (I took great care in coding the rules as faithfully and
precisely as I could).

To recap briefly: the idea of gamebook.js is to offer an IF-like
interface where you freely type commands, instead of explicitly
picking choices.

I wrote a longer description on my blog:

http://cjauvin.blogspot.ca/2013/03/suspension-of-parser-disbelief.html

but in a nutshell, here are the interesting new features:

* Contextual word autocompletion (effectively providing hints, which
can be turned off)

* Use of a word stemmer for greater lexical flexibility

* Action Chart and item management coherently integrated in the
textual interface

* Semi-automatic content extraction, where a script first processes
the raw PA XML as best as it can..

* ..then weaves it with a meticulously curated and customized
"override" content file

* Many mechanisms to limit tedious guesswork (choice trimming based on
requirements, etc)

* Save/load

If you'd like to try it:

http://projectaon.org/staff/christian/gamebook.js

but please be sure to reload if you ever tried the previous prototype
(in the 3rd intro paragraph, the version should no longer be
"incomplete and experimental".. just "experimental"!).

I sincerely hope it can be of interest to some of you,

Christian