[projectaon] gamebook.js update: FotW now fully implemented

  • From: Christian Jauvin <cjauvin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Project Aon <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gamebooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 19:19:06 -0400

Hi all,

Just a note to announce that I have finished the implementation of
FotW for my gamebook.js engine, which is now fully complete and
playable (I took great care in coding the rules as faithfully and
precisely as I could).

To recap briefly: the idea of gamebook.js is to offer an IF-like
interface where you freely type commands, instead of explicitly
picking choices.

I wrote a longer description on my blog:

http://cjauvin.blogspot.ca/2013/03/suspension-of-parser-disbelief.html

but in a nutshell, here are the interesting new features:

* Contextual word autocompletion (effectively providing hints, which
can be turned off)

* Use of a word stemmer for greater lexical flexibility

* Action Chart and item management coherently integrated in the
textual interface

* Semi-automatic content extraction, where a script first processes
the raw PA XML as best as it can..

* ..then weaves it with a meticulously curated and customized
"override" content file

* Many mechanisms to limit tedious guesswork (choice trimming based on
requirements, etc)

* Save/load

If you'd like to try it:

http://projectaon.org/staff/christian/gamebook.js

but please be sure to reload if you ever tried the previous prototype
(in the 3rd intro paragraph, the version should no longer be
"incomplete and experimental".. just "experimental"!).

I sincerely hope it can be of interest to some of you,

Christian