[projectaon] Re: gamebook.js update: FotW now fully implemented

  • From: Christian Jauvin <cjauvin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 13:29:43 -0400

Hi Sam,

Many thanks for the detailed comments and bug report!

> with regards to the meals.  In the game, you actually get to eat with the
> captain or the crew, what was interesting is that almost immediately after
> the meal with the captain (as I like to wager afterwards) the game told me I

In Section 321 (meal with the captain):

http://www.projectaon.org/en/xhtml/lw/02fotw/sect321.htm

the meal was poor, so if you don't want to lose 2E points, you have to
eat again ("Unless you have food in your Backpack").

In Section 154 (meal with the crew):

http://www.projectaon.org/en/xhtml/lw/02fotw/sect154.htm

the meal is also poor (-2E) but you don't have the option of eating
one of your Meals.. I don't know if that was intended, but that's how
my engine literally interprets it.

> There was another related issue, when taking the coach to Ragadorn, the text
> says "you must eat a meal, or lose health" and I didn't "eat", but the game
> didn't deduct points for that, though a few sections later, it said I was
> hungry.

That must be Section 148:

http://www.projectaon.org/en/xhtml/lw/02fotw/sect148.htm

and you're right: I forgot that one (maybe a bug in my XML extraction
tool), but it's now corrected.

About the Meals and the "eat" command: I'm thinking that I should drop
"eat" as an explicit command, and rather unify it with "use", to
prevent possible confusion in the few sections where you have to
actually eat.. It's true that it makes it less natural, but since you
already have to "use a Potion" (and cannot "drink" it).. what do you
think?

> battles I had, my starting CS was -4.  I actually couldn't remember the

Do you mean a "Combat Ratio" of -4? (as opposed to CS being -4 in the
Action Chart? And could you point out in which section you feel there
was something strange?

Thanks again,

Christian