[projectaon] Re: gamebook.js update: FotW now fully implemented

  • From: Christian Jauvin <cjauvin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 16:06:15 -0400

> Do you plan to go forward with other books? If not, is there some way
> for someone else to carry on from Fire on the Water?

To be quite honest, my feeling at this point is that the few
(constructive and well-deserved) criticisms that my idea received
(here and in another IF forum) more or less indicate that it is not
relevant enough to be worth much more investment from my part.. (again
this is not to whine about it: I was fully aware of that "danger"
while developing the prototype, but it was fun enough to do it for its
own sake anyway).

That said.. if someone was interested enough in the approach (or some
derivative) I'd be happy to write more about it, to explain how it
works in more details.

If my assumptions are right (and the overall architecture I devised
reasonable enough), I think that extending to other LW books would
"only" imply:

(1) Creating the "override" JSON content file which corrects and
completes all the aspects that the automatic XML extraction script
hasn't been able to get right (requirements for certain choices,
certain additional matching words, etc); although easy (the syntax is
very straightforward) this is clearly the most time-consuming task,
because it involves manually scanning the text and rules, looking for
special cases, etc.

(2) Provide the specialized code that must be plugged into some
sections/choices/combats, to implement special rules and behaviors;
this requires some JS programming, but given the way I decoupled it
from the engine, I think it is reasonably straigthforward; here is for
instance the specialized code for FotW:

https://github.com/cjauvin/gamebook.js/blob/master/fotw.js