[projectaon] Re: gamebook.js update: FotW now fully implemented

  • From: Sam Seaver <samseaver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 11:33:47 -0500

I just had a quick play-through, and there was one thing that seemed a
little inconsistent (it seems to work very well by the way) and that was
with regards to the meals.  In the game, you actually get to eat with the
captain or the crew, what was interesting is that almost immediately after
the meal with the captain (as I like to wager afterwards) the game told me
I lost health due to being hungry.  It seems that it doesn't necessarily
recognize all instances where the text tells you that you ate.

There was another related issue, when taking the coach to Ragadorn, the
text says "you must eat a meal, or lose health" and I didn't "eat", but the
game didn't deduct points for that, though a few sections later, it said I
was hungry.

I understand the rules about hunger, and it's something I could keep track
of myself, but in general the game text is not consistently applied.

Another issue I had, which I may have misunderstood, is that I deliberately
didn't choose a weapon, I took the chainmail and the shield to start.
 According to the action chart, the lack of a weapon (-4CS) is offset by
the combination of chainmail and shield (2CS+2CS).  However, in a couple of
the battles I had, my starting CS was -4.  I actually couldn't remember the
rules about multiple people in a given situation, but I think you can be
more explicit about the CS for any given battle, when that battle starts, I
wasn't sure if there was a bug, or if the game was correct.

Anyhow, good work!

--
Postdoctoral Fellow
Argonne National Laboratory