[projectaon] Re: Magic Spear (FotW)

  • From: Jonathan Blake <jonathan.blake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 13:53:46 -0700

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Actually thats an interesting point.
> By having access to the magic Spear you must also have taken the Sommerswerd
> by the time you finished the book (didnt actually think of that). However,
> the wording ( http://www.projectaon.org/en/xhtml/lw/02fotw/discplnz.htm)
> implies that you can opt to not take the Sommerswerd on later
> non-Grandmaster adventures. So I think we can safely assume that you could
> have either the Magic Spear or the Sommerswerd or both for any book after
> 02fotw (but before 13tplor).
>
> the only books (01-24) that contain the text "Helghast" are:
> $ grep -ril Helghast * | sed 's#/.*##' | uniq
> 02fotw
> 03tcok
> 08tjoh
> 14tcok
> 19wb
>
> So it appears the time this issue should be relevant is 03tcok and 08tjoh as
> Ben mentioned.
>
> Heres two problematic sections:
> http://www.projectaon.org/en/xhtml/lw/03tcok/sect328.htm
> http://www.projectaon.org/en/xhtml/lw/03tcok/sect170.htm
>
> Both of which require you to specifically have the Sommerswerd to survive an
> insta-death.

Any appetite for a footnote in these sections? While you can't leave
the Sommerswerd in safe keeping, it is possible for the player to drop
it. Maybe they want to challenge themselves to play the books without
the Sommerswerd? Or maybe they simply don't realize its value at
first? Anyway, it is conceivable that a player who once possessed the
Sommerswerd to now only possess the Magic Spear.