[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 1)

  • From: Timothy Pederick <pederick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 18:16:15 +0800

On 13 April 2011 17:38, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12/04/2011 18:41, Jonathan Blake wrote:
>

>> Amend the puzzle to say "large islands"? Anyone trying to turn to
>> section 413 will quickly realize that their answer is wrong. :)
>>

> Though even 'large islands' should still send the player to 313.

I propose: "The first of the two numbers is equal to the number of islands
which lie further west than Xaagon, within 150 miles of the city."

And for the record, s.213 is the puzzle; the *answer* is s.20 (though the
map could imply 30, 40, or 50 -- there are *two* little islands!)

Also, I said I wouldn't weigh in on the Torch-and-Tinderbox issue again, but
that's because I thought it fairly intractable last time. I believed it
reasonable for Lone Wolf, and the player, to go into the mines without any
means of lighting further torches except the one he lit first (when it's
almost burnt out, light the next, and so on). Therefore telling the player
to take the Tinderbox, because later sections assume its presence, would be
somewhat of a spoiler -- foreshadowing the possibility of losing the Torch.

However, I've changed my mind. The fact that Lone Wolf voluntarily
extinguishes his Torch to sleep means that he should find it completely
reasonable to take the Tinderbox even if he wasn't worried about losing it.
I'm happy with David's revised text and Jon's footnote.

The only remaining question is, what about the Firesphere? I'm not really
happy with forcing the player to take a torch, even though later sections
assume you have one, and even though it doesn't impact your Action Chart
(one torch, no Tinderbox -> no changes). It just doesn't make sense to me...
it's like using a lighter to light a match to light a candle.

Wait, I tell a lie. There's one more question. Since we're not capitalising
the first torch taken, should we uncapitalise it in the next section, s.315,
and any later sections that talk about "the torch you're currently holding"?

--
Tim Pederick