[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 1)

  • From: "David Davis" <feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:21:37 +0100

I suggest making the (first) Torch a Special Item that you carry in your hand because you immediately have to light it and carry it in your hand to be able to see! So why should it take up a space in your Backpack? You can't put a burning Torch in your Backpack! :)

-----Original Message----- From: Simon Osborne

(er) 123: you will need to use at least one Torch to light your way ->
you will need to bring the Tinderbox and at least one Torch to light
your way [DED: perhaps the text "you will need to use at least one Torch
to light your way" should be amended to "you will need to bring the
Tinderbox and at least one Torch to light your way"? And the footnote
should be "For the sake of continuity with subsequent sections, you are
assumed to take a Torch and Tinderbox into the mine here, even if you
are carrying an alternate means of providing illumination. Your first
(lit) Torch is a Special Item carried in the hand. Record the Tinderbox,
and any additional Torches as Backpack Items." ?]

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/04tcod/sec123.htm>

Simon: I don't see the point of marking the lit Torch as a Special Item.
Is it referred to as such later on? If we make this change (in
conjunction with the next one just below) we also need to add a line
about removing a Backpack Item if you already possess a full Backpack, etc.

(ft) 322: [DED: There's a problem with torches here. The text says
"Extinguishing your Torch, you curl up on the floor and quickly fall
into a deep sleep. Many hours pass before you awake, totally refreshed
by your rest......Relighting your torch, you can now see that..."
Realistically, you can't relight your torch unless you also have a
tinderbox. And the problem here is that the gameplay doesn't allow you
to continue in the dark. I'd suggest this requires an amendment to the
footnote we added to sect. 123 -]

Simon: In conjunction with the previous change, this would prevent a
potential gameplay issue, true.