[projectaon] Re: Book 13 Erratum

  • From: John TFS <johntfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 19:41:15 +0000

> Subject: [projectaon] Re: Book 13 Erratum
> From: crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx
> To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 07:05:05 +1200
>
> On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 13:00 -0400, Amarande wrote:
> > The official updated ruling, as reflected in the Mongoose editions,
> > was that the per-round EP loss as a result of Helshezag's "evil drain"
> > effect is permanent. So you'd get back your EP from actual battle
> > damage (yeah, this is a bit of fridge logic too, seeing that Gnaag and
> > Nadazgada are made of the same evil stuff as Helshezag, but ...
> > gameplay's sake!), but not the EP from the per-round loss, and the
> > fight with Gnaag is long: he has 70 EP and your Combat Ratio is bad,
> > let's see:
> >
> > * starting 19 CS (if you even made it this far, you probably have
> > this)
> > * +5 from the Lore-circles, assuming you chose all the ones that
> > benefit CS (you probably haven't made it this far if you haven't)
> > * +6 from potion (I seem to remember there is an Adgana available in
> > book 12 so you at least have that choice).
> > * +6 from Archmaster Psi-Surge (to which Gnaag is not immune)
> > * +12 special bonus from using a Darklord weapon in this specific
> > battle
> > * +4 from Weaponmastery

> > * +2 from a Shield (only if you started with book 5, if you started
> > with Magnakai you don't have this, as the Shield stopped being offered
> > after the Kai series)

Not quite true.  You can find a Shield in Castle Death.

> couldnt you also have items:
> silver helm +2 CS
> silver bracers +2 CS (+1 EP)
> kagonite chainmail +3 CS (+1 EP)

Don't forget that you can also have Bronin Mail +3 CS, +1 EP

Really, with all that stuff and even a potion of Alether (+2 CS) a LW starting
with CS 19 will have a +10 CR against Gnaag.  Besides if you have the Silver
Helm, you probably also went through Book 4, The Chasm of Doom.  In which case,
you also have the Dagger of Vashna, which also gives you the +12 CS and doesn't
drain your EP.

> which would shunt you up at least 3 columns
>

> > I guess it just comes down to "ouch."
> >

> Indeed. I would take either one round permanent EP damage OR per round
> non-permanent damage and still think that was penalty enough for using a
> Darklord's weapon.

And it's a little bit silly given the fact that the Dagger of Vashna was the
weapon of the most powerful Darklord of all and it costs nothing to use.