[projectaon] Re: Book 13 Erratum

  • From: John TFS <johntfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 23:33:34 +0000

> Subject: [projectaon] Re: Book 13 Erratum
> From: crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx
> To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 09:54:27 +1200
>
> On Sun, 2012-05-13 at 22:06 +0000, John TFS wrote:
> > Well, the simplest way to handle the situation, to my mind, would be
> > to cut some more items off of the list.  Remove the Silver Helmet,
> > Silver Bracers, Kagonite Chainmail and the Korlinium Scabbard at Book
> > 13.  Then remove the Dagger of Vashna and Helshezag at Book 17.
> > Advise the Veteran players to add 10 to their base CS, subtract 1 from
> > their base EP and conduct all further play as a normal Grandmaster.  I
> > would add that Curing replace the bit about "steady restoration of
> > Endurance" with "restore 1 EP per section when not losing EP or in
> > Combat."
> >

> Cant tell if youre serious :/
> Dropping more special items off the list would be a bad idea - I would
> consider it a significant enough change that someone who had read the
> paperback grandmaster books would look at our version and go "WTF? didnt
> I use to be able to take more items than this?"

A footnote could be included to mention the other Items.  My concept was to
balance the LW character with the New Order books for Project Aon players.  The
New Order GM starts the game with CS from 25-34 and an EP of 30-39.  He also
gets a Kai Weapon which gives him a base bonus of +5 CS or a circumstantial
bonus from +7 to +9.  The Sommerswerd's permanent +8 CS bonus is a little more
potent than that of a Kai Weapon, but not outrageously so.  Having all those
other Special Items added in would tend to nerf things more than a little bit,
so I tossed them.

> Ive never really understood the whole add 10, subtract 1 logic ... Im
> assuming this is the difference between a veteran player with all lore
> circle bonuses and the new Grandmaster stats (+25/+30), in which case
> that is a flawed methodology as it assumes that the veteran player has
> successfully completed every Magnakai adventure. Far better to say "take
> your basic stats (ie ignoring any lore-circle and item bonuses) and add
> 15 to CS and 10 to EP - this has the same effect but caters for veteran
> players who havent completed everything.

As I said above, I made the assumption that the player going from the
Kai/Magnakai series to the GM series would have gone through all the books -
because he'd be doing this on the Project Aon site.