Re: [PCWorks] How do I get this out of my system tray?

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:29:13 -0500

I know, that's what I said in my email. ;-)

> Is it the pay version of Sygate or the free?  The free
> version
> has not been able to update for years because they no longer
> have it.  They were bought out by Symantec and they trashed
> the
> free version.  So if it's a version that can still get
> updates,
> then it either is not set correctly, you allowed something
> you
> should have blocked, or it just plain missed it.

I don't know if the paid version is still available, or if
Symantec changed the name and use it as their own firewall now.
This says last updated in 2004, and I would guess there's no
updates for it either since it's the free version.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/Sygate-Personal-Firewall-Free.shtml

Larry it's not "mandatory" to have updates for a firewall, but
it's best because good ones will prevent malware and that part
has to be updated.  I still don't know if you paid for yours or
not, or if the paid version has updates.  If it does not, then
you may want to consider using another.  Comodo is free it's
considered the best now by many.
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/ .  I've never used it
so I can't say anything about it personally.
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com