Re: [PCWorks] How do I get this out of my system tray?

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 05:05:39 -0500

Just post the HJT log here and I can look at it.

Is it the pay version of Sygate or the free?  The free version
has not been able to update for years because they no longer
have it.  They were bought out by Symantec and they trashed the
free version.  So if it's a version that can still get updates,
then it either is not set correctly, you allowed something you
should have blocked, or it just plain missed it.

When you let SB (SpyBot) do the "Immunize", it automatically
puts sites in the Restricted Sites Zone for you.  Spyware
Blaster automatically does the same thing when you "Enable all
protection".  So you should do both of those, and if when going
to that cyber-terrorist website you don't see "Restricted site"
at the lower right area of the IE window, you need to add it
yourself.  Just go into IE Options, go to the Security tab,
click "Restricted sites" then "Sites", paste the URL in the
box.  If antispycheck.com is the website, then paste it in the
box as *antispycheck.com, www.antispycheck.com, and
*.antispycheck.com, any of those ways that it allows it.

Get a load of this, as I suspected, SB won't even let me go to
that website!  It blocks it, so you apparently don't have it
setup correctly.  So after you have it setup correctly, you
should not even have to add it to the Restricted sites zone.
But in the future for other bad websites, that's how you do it.
(Check your Cookie folder every once in a while for strange
Cookies you don't recognize.  These are usually Cookies placed
on your PC from sites you've never visited.  These come from
sites that embed 3rd-party trackware/adware/malware Cookies.
Open them up and get the URL, paste it into your address bar
and go to the site.  Sometimes you may have to add the www
prefix to get to the site if it's not in the Cookie.  Once at
the site, you'll notice it's usually some bad website devoted
to "targeted advertising" and the like, or worse.  Then you can
add those types of URL's to the Restricted Sites zone and those
Cookies will never get on your PC again.  If you have any
questions about any of this, just start a new thread on it and
we can address it there).
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner