-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Wobbly Fonts - Outlook Express Problem

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 22:26:23 -0400

David,
    I'm not sure how, but I missed these questions the first time through.

    To set the computer to boot from the CD/DVD, you'll need to delve into
your BIOS (also called Setup by many).  The method for access to the BIOS
varies depending on the mainboard manufacturer, but can be discovered on
many systems by watching the screen during the first minute or so of the
boot sequence.  If your own system only shows a giant icon of the PC
manufacturer, that information won't help (the screen text to which I refer
is being hidden by that big icon).

    Regardless, most systems provide BIOS access by pressing a single key at
the right time during bootup.  The right time is almost immediately after
you first see anything on the screen (press the proper key repeatedly to
make sure you catch it in time) and the key to press is what varies between
systems.  In many cases, the right key is Delete, but on some it's F1, F2 or
Tab.  On rare occasions, it can even be something else such as F10 or even
BACKSPACE.  If your screen refuses to tell you, try out that list in order
(try DEL first).  If it doesn't work, let Windows load completely and then
do a Start > Shut Down > Restart to test the next one.  Rinse & Repeat as
necessary until you gain entry.  Most BIOS screens today are white text on a
blue background.  Your mileage may, of course, vary.

    Once you get in, you'll need to be able to move around.  Use the up &
down arrow keys to move through the items on a page.  Enter will usually
allow you to change a setting by opening up a small menu containing all of
the possible settings for an item.  Use the arrow keys to pick a setting you
want and then press Enter to set it in stone.  Unless you're in a submenu,
the left & right arrow keys will move you between different areas of the
BIOS.  Each area deals with a specific subset of related or similar
functions.  Finally, when you've finished making your changes, the very last
submenu will include an option similar to "Save Changes and Reboot".  This
will take you out of the BIOS and restart the computer.

    In your case, you're looking for a line or lines that show what device
is set to boot first, second (and possibly 3rd & 4th).  This should be
located somewhere inside the first or second submenu (starting at the far
left and moving to the right)  Once found, you may have to experiment a bit
to figure out how to put them in the right order.  In some cases, changing
the first to what is already showing on another will automatically make them
swap places.  In others, you'll have to change each one individually so that
no device is showing in more than one ordered slot (you'll see what I mean
if this is how your BIOS is set up).

    Remember to choose that "Save Changes and Reboot" option before you exit
the BIOS os it will not have recorded any of your changes.  Good luck and
happy hunting.

    Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that your Recovery CD/DVD is the same
thing as a regular Windows install CD.  If I'm right, you will not be able
to use your CD for this.  However, I sent in an entire tutorial on how to
create your own Windows install CD not too long ago.  If you recall that
thread, but are unable to locate it (or if you have no idea what I'm talking
about), let me know and I'll see if I can find it.  It may even have been
uploaded to our Files section at PCTT-YahooGroups, too.

    To be sure whether your CD can be used for this, put in your
Reinstallation CD (hold down the left SHIFT key til the drive stops spinning
to prevent it from auto-launching) and use Windows Explorer to look through
the contents.  See if there is a folder or subfolder in there called i386.
If there is, right click directly on that folder and select Properties and
tell me the size of the contents and number of files contained in it.

Peace,
GMan

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"