-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Wobbly Fonts - Outlook Express Problem

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 03:06:25 -0400

"Oh, why on earth did I throw away my quill?"
There's always smoke signals and carrier pidgens.       ;O}

    While it doesn't happen often, we occasionally come across various
Windows items that have become 'stuck' like this (either my own or someone
else's system).  Unfortunately, there are no tried and true techniques for
figuring out the cures short of researching the problem and trying different
ideas for resolution.  Even if all you do is eliminate possibilities, you're
still ahead of the game in terms of understanding since the more things you
try, the more ideas you tend to get for the next attempt.  (a nod to
Einstein for the concept of progress by elimination)

    Having said all that, my next suggestion would be to compact the
registry to eliminate the possibility of a corrupted entry in there.  Just
bear in mind that it won't eliminate the possibility of a 'bad' entry.

Before doing anything, open up Windows Explorer, highlight the C:\ drive in
the left pane and then right click on the C:\ drive.  Select Properties from
the context menu and then click on the "Check now" button.  When the box
appears, place check marks next to both options and let er rip.  You'll get
a warning that the drive is in use (that's guaranteed because it's currently
selected) and it'll ask you if you'd like to schedule a check during the
next boot.  Select Yes, close all windows and reboot to let it do its thing.
Depending on the size of your C:\ drive, this may take a while, so plan your
timing accordingly.  If the drive is large enough, you may wish to run this
overnight.  When it's finished, the system will complete booting up and you
can move onto the instructions below.

Go to Start > Run, type in 'regedit' and press Enter to bring up the
Registry editor.  If the top level (My Computer) is not already selected and
highlighted, hold down your left arrow key until it is.  Next, go to File >
Export, choose a good temp location for the file you're about to create,
give it a good name such as "Full Registry 2007-10-08" (without the quotes,
of course) and click on the Save button.  You have just made a complete
backup of your entire registry (well, at least all of it that matters).

Next, close regedit and make your way to the location of the file you just
made.  Right click on it and select Merge from the context menu.  The
contents of the file will then overwrite the existing registry entries
effectively replacing them with a fresh copy.  Since you ran CHKDSK before
doing this, the new file entries should be free of any data corruption.

Reboot and see if it helped.

Peace,
GMan