-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Renewing Subscription to Norton System Works

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:33:13 -0700

The files you are referring to are what you downloaded.  If you have run
them and the program(s) are installed they do not need to be there.

I strongly urge you to put these on a CD and label it...I would also include
the files you get from the Firewall when you download it.  If you should
ever lose your hard drive, or need to reinstall Norton you will need these
files.  Unless you paid Norton extra to be able to download them for a year,
the download time is limited (like a week or something).  But, if you have
them on CD, then you can use them to reinstall if you need to.  Be
optimistic..maybe you will win or someone will give you a new PC and you
will not need this one.  Then you will have Norton to put on your new PC!
I would also include a copy of the email confirmation you got from Norton
about purchasing the software.  It would have some sort of numbers on it as
well as the link to download the file(s).  This will be helpful the next
time you want to upgrade.

When you open Systemworks, do you see all the other programs, Go Back,
CheckIt, etc installed?  (Checkit is listed under extra features).

WinRar is a compressed file.  It is like a zip file, but it is done by
another company.

When I am downloading things from the net:

I have a Directory on an external drive that I store the download files in.
Most download files are zip (compressed) files.  I store them separately
from where I install the program.  I do that because if I were to lost my
hard drive with my programs on them, I still have the Downloaded files to
re-install the programs.

I personally never install a program on my C: unless it has to go there.
Norton insists at least part of it has to go on the C: so I let it install
there, where it wants to be.

One of the benefits of not installing programs on the C: is if I should have
to reformat, I could reformat ONLY my C:.  Then, I still have the file
structure in place to reinstall my programs.  I do not have to create all
the folders again.  I do not have to re-think my philosophy as to where
things should go.  It makes a recovery a lot easier!  I just reinstall my
programs directly into the same folders.

Also, I do NOT store my data from my programs in the same folder as the
programs.  Sometimes when you reinstall programs, they will overwrite
everything in the folders and you could lose some of  your hard work.

I put my Data on another Drive letter - also an external drive - so I will
not lose it in a reinstall process.

Now, I do back up that External drive (to DVD's or CD's or another external
drive.
I do not need to take up the space to back up the programs directories as I
have the programs on physical CD's that came with the program, or on the
external drive of my Downloads.

I hope I am making this clear and not too convoluted.  If I am not
clear..just holler and I will try harder.

I can send you a screen shot (directly as this list does not allow
attachments) of my external drive, with the directories of the files I have
saved there..to show you the structure.  I can also send you a screen shot
of my Programs Directory.  (In my Programs directory, I install programs by
category... Graphics, Games (A girl has to have games!) Chat Programs,
Greeting Cards, etc.

Have a great day.. let me know if you need help... I do hope I did not
overload you and confuse you.

Rose
Las Vegas