-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Fonts Tutorial

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:52:47 -0400

If I recall correctly, there was a tutorial in there that I wrote at least a
year before she referred to it.  She provided the list of essential fonts,
however.  As far as its validity under XP or Vista, I cannot say with any
certainty.  So, I'm including the list of fonts that are currently in my own
most recent install of WinXP for your amusement.  I have not added any fonts
to the original collection, but I cannot be sure that none were added by
other programs I've installed since creating this Win installation.  Since I
have not installed anything that should include fonts, this is most like a
complete and unmodified (added to) list of the originals.

List of C:\WINDOWS\Fonts

| 8514fix.fon

| 8514fixr.fon

| 8514oem.fon

| 8514oemr.fon

| 8514sys.fon

| 8514sysr.fon

| 85855.fon

| app850.fon

| app855.fon

| app866.fon

| arial.ttf

| arialbd.ttf

| arialbi.ttf

| ariali.ttf

| ariblk.ttf

| cga40850.fon

| cga40866.fon

| cga40woa.fon

| cga80850.fon

| cga80866.fon

| cga80woa.fon

| comic.ttf

| comicbd.ttf

| cour.ttf

| courbd.ttf

| courbi.ttf

| coure.fon

| courer.fon

| courf.fon

| courfr.fon

| couri.ttf

| desktop.ini

| dosapp.fon

| ega40850.fon

| ega40866.fon

| ega40woa.fon

| ega80850.fon

| ega80866.fon

| ega80woa.fon

| estre.ttf

| framd.ttf

| framdit.ttf

| gautami.ttf

| georgia.ttf

| georgiab.ttf

| georgiai.ttf

| georgiaz.ttf

| GlobalMonospace.CompositeFont

| GlobalSansSerif.CompositeFont

| GlobalSerif.CompositeFont

| GlobalUserInterface.CompositeFont

| impact.ttf

| kartika.ttf

| l_10646.ttf

| latha.ttf

| lsans.ttf

| lsansd.ttf

| lsansdi.ttf

| lsansi.ttf

| lucon.ttf

| Lucon1.ttf

| mangal.ttf

| marlett.ttf

| micross.ttf

| modern.fon

| mvboli.ttf

| pala.ttf

| palab.ttf

| palabi.ttf

| palai.ttf

| raavi.ttf

| roman.fon

| script.fon

| serife.fon

| serifer.fon

| seriff.fon

| seriffr.fon

| shruti.ttf

| smalle.fon

| smaller.fon

> [...]

    Wingdings is acually used by Windows more than most folks realize.
Plus, since it's on ALL versions of Windows, you can use some of the odd
characters to dress up your email as long as you know for sure that the
receiving party is also using Windows.       :O)

    As for setting up a special 'extra' fonts folder, I have a master
Multimedia folder that I use to store all things multimedia.  That includes
things like e-books, fonts, images, movies, music (stuff for bands I've been
in), sounds (song snippets, sound effects, etc.), stationery (email stats)
and themes (for use in Windows).  The Fonts folder contains all of my extra
fonts as well as any new ones I get.  If a program installs a number of
fonts into the Windows Fonts folder,  I pluck them back out by Moving them
into this separate multimedia fonts folder.  If there are a few that I
actually will use (I open up each one from within the multimedia fonts
folder to see what they're like), I'll then Copy those back to the Windows
Font folder.  Since I'm only Copying them back to the main system folder, I
know that I still have the original safe & sound in the extra folder, just
in case something should happen to my Windows installation requiring a
format/reinstall.

    If I'm leaving anything out or if any part of this is unclear, be sure
to ask about it.  Cleaning out unused fonts can really go a long way towards
speeding up a system overloaded with them.

Peace,
GMan