-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Trojan Horse Generic 8.LDI

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 22:17:48 -0400

Hi Sandi,
[added just before sending this reply] - After reading what I've written
below, I thought I should warn you that this is probably going to show you
more about the "flow" of my thinking than answer your question.
lol

    It's not just AVG that's been flagging this file recently.  Still, it is
often a false positive caused by an aggressive definition file update.
Since much more than AVG has been recently coming up with this, I now have
to wonder if there's just one crew that creates these definitions that then
sells them to all of the AV companies.  If not, then there's an awful lot of
sharing of virus solutions going on out there in AV land.              lol

    The fact that the file is located under its standard "Common Files\MS
Shared\Works" parent folder is almost enough to confirm this without looking
it up.  Still, to be safe (one of the primary tenets of PCTT, I might add),
I did some research and found that the name of this particular file
(legitimate, but normally worthless) HAS INDEED been used by a trojan or
other malware.  As a result, my own caution alert just went up a bit.
Still, I have to wonder how a malware pest was able to locate this file
under an old backup folder since most malware doesn't have any hard drive
scanning capability.  Very odd!

    However, those infections have the bad file residing under the
C:\Windows or C:\Windows\system32 folders (locations that are NEVER used by
Microsoft for this particular file).  Since these files are obviously placed
there directly by the referenced malware, it shows that they don't bother
looking all over your hard drive to see if there's an old copy of the
original file somewhere else (like your year old backup).  As a result, I am
still very much inclined to believe that this is just a false positive.

    So, what can you do about this that will make all parties happy?  Well,
if you don't use the MS Works Calendar Reminder program (and I seriously
doubt you're somehow using it from within an old backup), just delete the
file.  If you also have Works installed on your present Windows system (that
is, the file also exists at its standard ...Common Files\MS Shared\Works\...
location), you'll want to keep this info in the back of your mind, just in
case it's ever flagged like the old one.  If it is, again, just delete the
file if you know you'll never be using the Reminder function.  If you DO use
it, you'll have to go into the Preferences/Options/Settings of your AV
program and create an exception for that file so it's never scanned again.

REFERENCES:
    The first link below will take you to a site (sysinfo.org) that lists
all of the known files that come into question like this.  Some are linked
to malware while some are not.  I highly recommend that anyone interested
load up the page to see what the site is all about.  Then, click on the
second link below to get to the main database page and bookmark that for
future reference.  It's not the only research you should conduct when facing
something like this, but it's a great start to your own research.
:O)

http://shrunklink.com/adia
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

    Here is another process database site that explains various files found
throughout Windows.  You'll also find numerous other tests and info in the
links on the left side of the page.  I suggest adding this one to your
Malware Research folder as well.

http://www.auditmypc.com/process/wkcalrem.asp

    Here's yet another Process database for your concideration. (and I think
I'll stop there before I completely take over your bookmarks folder)
:O)

http://shrunklink.com/adib

Peace,
GMan