[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:14:04 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> If broadcasters were not married to must carry there
> would be no 8-VSB modulation in the US and we WOULD
> have adopted DVB-T.

I think you entirely missed the point.

If both retailers and CE vendors get a kickback for
getting people hooked on subscription services, there
is a DISINCENTIVE for retailers and CE manufacturers
to sell OTA equipment. Get it? It pays *not* to sell
OTA equipment, because CE vendors, retailers, and of
course the service providers, get, or may get, a
consistent revenue stream from each sale of MSO-type
equipment. CE vendors and retailers don't get that
from selling OTA equipment. It's a one-time sale,
imagine that concept.

So now we're back to your mantra about "what if we
had adopted DVB-T." No change. The modulation type
makes no difference. This should have started to
become obvious after 4th and 5th gen chips became
available, already 2 years ago, and are having such
a hard time finding their way to store shelves.

If this situation is real, I have to wonder why it's
allowed to go on. Isn't that "collusion," or
something along those lines?