[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:50:42 -0500

IF (BIG IF) it had worked "out of the box", it could have easily
happened. (/I could say a lot more, but at this particular time, simple
seems to be more than enuf'.../)
All it takes is a few committed "Ambassadors" from ALL the involved
parties...

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>A couple of comments.
>
>1. The 2006 date was not at all a joke, back in 1997 when it
>was set, and it could easily have been met. It would simply
>have required Congress and the FCC to do two years ago what
>they have done now. Which is, (a) include cable and satellite
>in the 85 percent figure of households not dependent solely
>on analog OTA TV, and (b) set a date when all TV appliances
>sold would require digital reception capability. Anything
>short of that would only cause any analog shutoff to drag
>out ad infinitum.
>
>2. How odd that they consider an analog tier retained on
>cable systems to be "consumer-unfriendly." As if somehow,
>forcing people to buy HD sets is "consumer-friendly." Maybe
>they think that any set which receives an HD signal gets to
>display HD images, and that none of this should cost the
>consumer anything.
>
>Bert

>http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2005/12/12/toward_dig
>ital_tv/
>
>The Boston Globe
>GLOBE EDITORIAL
>
>Toward digital TV
>
>December 12, 2005
>
>CONGRESS IS finally getting serious about converting the nation
>to digital television. It needs to set a firm deadline, provide
>adequate support so people can still use older sets, and compel
>manufacturers and retailers to inform consumers of the switch.
>
>Conventional analog television signals take up broadcasting space
>that could be better used for emergency and mobile services.
>Digital signals are more compact and allow improvements in
>picture quality. High-definition television, which offers the
>most detailed picture to consumers, is a digital product.
>
>But TV purchasers have been slow to make the switch, and a
>congressionally imposed deadline of Dec. 31, 2006, is a joke.
>The lawmakers acted more realistically when they passed competing
>bills last month as part of budget reconciliation measures. The
>Senate would put off the deadline until April 7, 2009. The House
>would set the date at Dec. 31, 2008. Either is fine as long as it
>is firm.
>
>After the deadline, broadcasters would no longer send a
>conventional signal over the air. Cable or satellite providers
>would convert the signal to analog for any customer with an old
>set. Those people who want to pick up over-the-air transmissions
>in analog would have to buy a converter box costing perhaps $50.
>
>To compensate, the government should provide subsidies for
>converter boxes. The Senate would allocate up to $3 billion, and
>the House less than $1 billion, both from the sale of surplus
>broadcast frequencies. As digital TV prices fall, the sets are
>becoming increasingly popular. A $3 billion subsidy may not be
>necessary as many people abandon analog. But the House figure
>seems low. The higher amount should prevail.

> [...]

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><

===================================
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580
E-mail: maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
Text PAGE: page.maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
HTML PAGE: 4436774425@xxxxxxxxxx
www.newscentral.tv
www.sbgi.net
===================================

If mankind were to resolve to agree
in no institution of government,
until every part of it had been
adjusted to the most exact standard
of perfection, society would soon
become a general scene of anarchy,
and the world a desert.

~ ~ ~ Alexander Hamilton ~ ~ ~

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain
confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this
email message is addressed.  If you have received this email message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and
destroy the original message without making a copy.  Thank you.