[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:36:32 -0500

Sorry, I was lumping the CEA in with the retailers. I know that when a
sale is made to Satellite, there is a "pop" for the signing party. In
some cases, there is a continuing "residual". If you want OTA DTV
anymore (with just a few exceptions), you have to be a "paying member"
of someones. Even the new DirecTV HD20 box (MPEG2/4 HD capable SAT box),
with the LG 5th GEN (first box for LG with 5th GEN not integrated into a
display device) requires a subscription to work (even for the FREE OTA).

As to the numbers, they are all fungible. It is certainly more than 15%,
I guess I've been sniffing the CEA punch too long :^)! OTA ought to
matter more, yes! In reality, it does. Most of the HDTV people are
watching is local station (read OTA first) related. THEY (CEA) DON'T
CARE! As a thinking person, you may not see the logic ;^), but then
again I was talking about the CEA.

Similar, yes, to some degree...not too much to mind. Thanks!

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Except that the CEA doesn't see those "sign up" bonuses
>either, do they? If anything, the NCTA, right? To the
>CEA, one ATSC STB should be just as good as one cable STB.
>
>On the 85 percent figure, how come we keep reading that 35
>percent or more viewership is lost when a station drops
>off the air? OTA viewership ought to matter more to the
>CEA, one would think.
>
>Seems to me that broadcasters and cable operators are in a
>similar situation. Not identical. And I sure ain't
>pointing fingers at Sinclair.
>
>Bert

><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><

===================================
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580
E-mail: maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
Text PAGE: page.maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
HTML PAGE: 4436774425@xxxxxxxxxx
www.newscentral.tv
www.sbgi.net
===================================

If mankind were to resolve to agree
in no institution of government,
until every part of it had been
adjusted to the most exact standard
of perfection, society would soon
become a general scene of anarchy,
and the world a desert.

~ ~ ~ Alexander Hamilton ~ ~ ~

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain
confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this
email message is addressed.  If you have received this email message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and
destroy the original message without making a copy.  Thank you.