[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:27:48 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
 > So now we're back to your mantra about "what if we
 > had adopted DVB-T." No change. The modulation type
 > makes no difference. This should have started to
 > become obvious after 4th and 5th gen chips became
 > available, already 2 years ago, and are having such
 > a hard time finding their way to store shelves.

That is saying there is no point in trying to make free OTA better
because it won't sell anyway.  That is a sad and horrible idea.  If
advertising supported OTA could be conveniently received as well as
cable with $50 STB's and integrated TV's using only a set top antenna
then most everyone would get it, even those with cable & sat since it
would be easier to hook up for 2nd and 3rd sets.

However I'm not claiming DVB-T would necessarily do this.  Dunno.

- Tom