[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:32:58 -0800

Bert wrote:

>If both retailers and CE vendors get a kickback for
>getting people hooked on subscription services, there
>is a DISINCENTIVE for retailers and CE manufacturers
>to sell OTA equipment. Get it? It pays *not* to sell
>OTA equipment.

IMO Bert has it exactly right and as many of you might recall, that's been
my opinion for a number of years.

The long-term goal of Retailers, the CEA and the Cable/Satellite industries
appears to be that: "Every One pays for TV programming* ". The cost of entry
into the DTV world today is either a new cable ready DTV set or a
subscription service STB. There are several million DTV monitors currently
in consumers hand who effectively no longer have the option to purchase HDTV
capable OTA receivers, which assures that they will also require
subscription services (unless they currently own an older OTA STB).

* =  often we pay for it twice since much of the non broadcast originated
subscription programming also contains commercials.