[opendtv] Re: News: CEA FORECASTS CONSUMER ELECTRONICS REVENUE WILL SURPASS $155 BILLION IN 2007

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:05:51 -0500

But at least the digital TV (& maybe HD) might be a consideration if the TV was digital cable/HD ready. I mean for the free stuff, just as those with premium TV subscriptions may currently still use an analog cable ready TV in other rooms of the house. I'd expect in the future to see a lot of inexpensive small QAM LCD TV's around the house with no cable cards or monthly STB charges, at least if cable doesn't start scrambling the HD FOTA networks.

The display she bought has an ATSC tuner, but no cable tuner - probably because the cable card would have added too much to the bill of materials.

We have yet to try the OTA ATSC tuner. Probably because she rarely watches the OTA networks.