[opendtv] Re: News: CEA FORECASTS CONSUMER ELECTRONICS REVENUE WILL SURPASS $155 BILLION IN 2007

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:34:25 -0800

flyback1 wrote:

>Do you know what words U and V stand for and which component color value
each represents?

 Sure, here's a reference copy  for others edification, if interested.
UV simply uses a different RGB matrix but they are generally the same thing
as YIQ and are modulated/demodulated similarly in the two television system
(other than the phase reference signal). Actually, the YUV matrix seems more
useable to me but I don't know why RCA chose to use YIQ, any idea on your
end? Perhaps it was an IP thing?

Dale
The YUV model defines a color space in terms of one luminance and two
chrominance components. YUV is used in the PAL system of color encoding in
analog video, which is part of television standards in much of the world.

YUV models human perception of color more closely than the standard RGB
model used in computer graphics hardware, but not as closely as the HSL
color space and HSV color space.

Y stands for the luminance component (the brightness) and U and V are the
chrominance (color) components. The YPbPr color space used in analog
component video and its digital child YCbCr used in digital video are more
or less derived from it (Cb/Pb and Cr/Pr are deviations from grey on
blue-yellow and red-cyan axes whereas U and V are blue-luminance and
red-luminance differences), and are sometimes inaccurately called "YUV". The
YIQ color space used in the analog NTSC television broadcasting system is
related to it, although in a more complex way.