[opendtv] Re: News: CEA FORECASTS CONSUMER ELECTRONICS REVENUE WILL SURPASS $155 BILLION IN 2007

  • From: flyback1 <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:19:29 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

Whoa, that's just a tad overstated. PAL is quite good, and 576i, but not
dramatically better than NTSC.

Yes it is. PAL is DRAMATICALLY better than NTSC.

I have worked in commercial broadcasting since 1967, the year PAL went online.

I watched PAL TV in the UK in 1982 and 1984 on TV sets in people's homes, and keep in mind,
I'm not talking studio monitors here, I mean department store TV sets.

As a matter of course, PAL TV sets in the U.K. display better looking pictures at home with a signal from an antenna, than I have ever seen in 40 years in a U.S. television studio on a studio monitor being fed
from a line signal.

Whereas HDTV is dramatically better.

Go somewhere that you can watch a program on a PAL TV set side by side with an HDTV set.
There is some difference, but not a whole lot.

HDTV is not, as you put it, dramatically better than 625 line PAL.