[opendtv] Re: News: CEA FORECASTS CONSUMER ELECTRONICS REVENUE WILL SURPASS $155 BILLION IN 2007

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:02:45 -0500

I am currently paying for NO premium channels. But I would probably be willing to pay a bit extra for CNN/HD, at least if it was offered a la carte. I think TV news made the world a much smaller place when it arrived. And I think that will happen again when it all goes to HD.

Imagine how bad Nixon would have looked. Things might have turned out differently. ;-)

- Tom  (not a crook (but still a believer in Marshall McLuhan))

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
I am not arguing that there is a significant increase in local HD production, in fact I have written about it in BE. But I have yet to see any correlation with increased viewing of the content when it is in HD versus SD. And, as I said, there may be a benefit in filling up the 16:9 screen, regardless of the source resolution.

It is not denigration Dale, just a statement of the obvious. Other than filling up the screen, there is little added value with HD news...

except to the plastic surgeons, who are seeing an increased number of news persons.

There may be one exception - HD might be a benefit when those Newscopters cover yet another car chase on the LA freeways.

At 9:33 AM -0800 1/9/07, Dale Kelly wrote:

Craig wrote:

 But local broadcasters are mostly sitting on the sidelines with HD.
 There is little value added with HD news

There is a significant increase in the amount of local HDTV production at affiliate stations, even in small markets (see below). I'm very surprised at your denigration of local station HD newscasts. News and public affairs programming is generally the only programming originated at affiliate stations, so you can't have it both ways; criticizing them on one hand for not producing HDTV programming while declaring that what they can do is of little value.

News
Reno's NBC Affiliate Wins HD News Race
KRNV launches a high-def newscast ahead of the CW affiliate, KREN.
By Phillip Swann
Washington, D.C. (December 20, 2006) -- KREN, the CW affiliate in Reno, Nevada, crowed last week that it would launch a High-Definition news program on Monday, becoming the first local station there to air the news in High-Definition TV.

There are now three stations producing HD newscasts in Reno: two in English and one in Spanish - not bad for a ~110 ranked market size. Such activity is growing rapidly around the country and is enabled by significant advancements in and availability of, more affordable HD production gear. However, such efforts still requires major investment and cannot happen over night.

Dale

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com