[opendtv] Re: News: CEA FORECASTS CONSUMER ELECTRONICS REVENUE WILL SURPASS $155 BILLION IN 2007

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:16:04 -0500

All else is never equal but I tend to just measure the number of pixels per second as a max amount of detail. And by that token HDTV maxes out at 1920x540x60 (720p/60 is similar) which is WAY better than 576i.

That fact that both compression and current telecine procedures suck doesn't really change this to me since I consider both just bugs to be fixed.

Current displays used to suck also be that seems to be changing.

- Tom

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Cliff wrote:

I still think it's notable to realize that today, in 2007, 40
years later, our wonderful, glorious 720p/1080i HDTV pictures
have only a few percent more resolution and slightly better
color than PAL TV has had since it's inception in 1967.

Whoa, that's just a tad overstated. PAL is quite good, and 576i, but not
dramatically better than NTSC. Whereas HDTV is dramatically better.

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com