[opendtv] Re: News: CEA FORECASTS CONSUMER ELECTRONICS REVENUE WILL SURPASS $155 BILLION IN 2007

  • From: "Allen Le Roy Limberg" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 08:01:37 -0500

Further to what Dale writes, many cheap receivers demodulated R-Y and B-Y
directly, reducing chroma bandwidth from that available with I and Q.

However, the biggest differences in colorimetry between US and European
receivers were probably attributable to changes in the phosphors used in color
kinescopes in the quest for high brightness.  A very orangy red phosphor was
used in the 60s as I recall.  Color temperature was screwed around with to
increase brightness.

Perhaps the PAL color matrixing at transmission was varied slightly from that
used in NTSC, to accommodate later developed phosphors.  I don't remember
knowing it was.

Modulating the kine screen grids can improve the dynamic range of color,
improving pastel reproduction, but was not done because the American buying
public bought based on brightness of the set in a strongly lit viewing
environment.

Al Limberg