[opendtv] Re: News: CEA FORECASTS CONSUMER ELECTRONICS REVENUE WILL SURPASS $155 BILLION IN 2007

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 17:57:55 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

>> CEA FORECASTS CONSUMER ELECTRONICS REVENUE WILL SURPASS $155
>> BILLION IN 2007
>>
>> Thibodeaux said the display category will
>> continue to fuel industry growth in 2007. "The TV
>> market is setting all-time revenue records.
>> CRT-based sets are giving way to flat panel
>> displays. The successful ongoing transition to
>> digital television is driving demand in this
>> market space."
>
> CEA, the real beneficiary of the DTV conversion and very much
> as planned.

Dale, you cynic. This is not anything being forced down the throats of
consumers. This is called pent-up demand, from way too many decades of
dismally retro television standards, when compared with everything else
that has been available to consumers in electronic toys.

I agree that the CEA are one big beneficiary and that they created this
new technology via processes like the ATSC. But, having waited patiently
for HDTV to materialize since 1986, and for LCD TVs to grow in size ever
since I saw the first tiny 2" screen one, and having wondered since
childhood in the 1950s why TV had to be so technically inferior, I say,
"It's about damned time!"

Consumers definitely benefit. And we won't be laughed out of the solar
system for having such ancient TVs, if the Martians come to visit.