[opendtv] Re: HDTV DVB-T receiver for the UK

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:55:53 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Bob Miller wrote:
>
> > What I don't understand is there willingness to
> > risk all in the courts. Assuming that if granted
> > must carry of multicast that this would end up
> > back in court and they could lose all must carry.
>
> Because the potential rewards are SOOOOOOOOOO large.
> Total control over program distribution and local
> ad insertion revenues.

But as ABC has proved by pulling ABC News Now as a
separate cable channel, broadcasters can achieve this
goal regardless. Why can't they gradually pull back
their cable-only channels and stick them on their OTA
multicasts? Then cable systems will want to provide
those multicasts, or risk losing subscribers.

What you keep repeating, that broadcasters are
perfectly happy to see a non-viable DTT solution,
seems way too preposterous and self destructive.