[opendtv] Re: HDTV DVB-T receiver for the UK

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:52:24 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
The question ought to be, given that 8-VSB
 > receivers have been designed to work right, given
 > that the working solutions were supposed to be on
 > the market last quarter, *now* what's the holdup?

I'm not sure all that is a given.  It is possible the receiver demo'd at
Marks apartment was a one shot deal that for some reason worked
(effectively) only in similar situations for some reason and not well in
the general case.  It is also possible it contained very expensive
circuitry that cannot be effectively produced and marketed yet,
regardless of what is claimed for some soon-arriving integrated TV's.

But even assuming it was really the promised miracle chip I still do not
really see who would stand to gain by holding it off the market.  It
would seem even Zenith would make more licensing it productively to
other STB makers than they would using it to gain a competitive
advantage in their TV sales.  I don't think most people buy HD displays
based upon the quality of the ATSC receiver anyway.  My last AVS
hardware poll showed only a tiny percentage of HD watch using integrated
ATSC tuners.

Everybody is asking who stands to gain.  I have no idea but am open to
suggestions.

- Tom