[opendtv] Re: HDTV DVB-T receiver for the UK

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:49:53 -0500

At 10:04 AM -0500 2/2/05, Bob Miller wrote:

>No the broadcasters want a major change. They do not like the status
>quo. What I don't understand is there willingness to risk all in the
>courts. Assuming that if granted must carry of multicast that this would
>end up back in court and they could lose all must carry.
>
>What I would have expected is what you say, "Nothing has changed, and
>that's just the way the broadcasters like it!" Why are they so hell bent
>on taking such a big risk by demanding multicast must carry?

Because the potential rewards are SOOOOOOOOOO large. Total control
over program distribution and local ad insertion revenues.

If they don't win this battle, or if they lose Must Carry altogether,
there is still a viable business model...

Compete with cable and DBS, instead of relying on them to deliver the
programming to consumers.

Obviously the second choice is less desirable than the first...