[opendtv] Re: HDTV DVB-T receiver for the UK

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:21:29 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> I'm not sure all that is a given [that 8-VSB receivers
> can be designed to work right].

Ahh, still the doubting Thomas.

I've always considered it a "given," so I don't need to
make any great leap of faith here. The basic trick was
to turn any pre-echo into post-echo, thereby allowing
for symmetric echo tolerance. Linx explained this, C.B
Patel mentioned it years ago as well, and I assume
(without proof) that LG did something similar in its
5th gen. If 2nd gen receivers could do -5 to +45 usec,
it seemed pretty clear that the Linx approach would
achieve very acceptable echo performance. And so it
was.

> It would seem even Zenith would make more licensing it
> productively to other STB makers than they would using
> it to gain a competitive advantage in their TV sales.

Indeed, it would. But apparently they won't do this?

> I don't think most people buy HD displays based upon
> the quality of the ATSC receiver anyway.

I certainly would. In any event, if someone buys an
integrated set or a DBS/ATSC STB with an ATSC side that
works well, it will get used. My brother-in-law being
a good case in point. Just switched to DISH, bought
the HD package, and uses ATSC for his network HD fix.
He previously almost never watched network TV. Wonder
of wonders, now he does.

> Everybody is asking who stands to gain.  I have no
> idea but am open to suggestions.

I was being mostly facetious, but certainly the cable
and DBS industries stand to gain if OTA remains
marginal for many, right? Any subscription TV service
that has its own non-terrestrial right of way stands
to gain.