[opendtv] Re: HDTV DVB-T receiver for the UK

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:26:11 -0500

Bob,

Sure.  In my extremely humble opinion (IMEHO) the new Digital Children's
Programming requirements as outlined in FCC R&O 04-221
<http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-04-221A1.pdf>, the
FCC requires 30 minutes more children's programming for every 28 hours of
multicast programming transmitted.  Further, this programming must be spread
across all the free multicast channels, and meet all of the new children's
programming guidelines, including being keyed with the FCC approved "E/I"
logo for the duration of the program.

We as a PBS station will easily meet an entire week's requirement by Monday
afternoon, but most commercial stations will have to rethink their
multicasts.  If you offer a 4 channel multiplex 24/7, you would be required
to broadcast 12 hours per week of regularly scheduled children's
programming.  I think that will be enough to kill most multicasting plans on
commercial stations.

John Shutt