[opendtv] Re: HDTV DVB-T receiver for the UK

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:20:08 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

>http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=3D1004
>
> If made in China like Hisense and sold in the US at
> WalMart it would be $59.95.
>
> If it used DMB-T, $29.95.

Is that with single or dual conversion? As we learned
here last week, it is likely that in markets where
transmitters are not co-located, cheaper single
conversion tuners would have problems.

My sense is that the Linx and LG 5th gen equalizers,
per se, have gotten past the second knee of that
elusive S curve. The most intriguing development
being the STMicroelectronics press realease, where
they want to use a similar equalizer with COFDM.
(Which means, Bob, that the equalizer cost issue is
pretty much a non-issue, as I have long suspected.)

But there are probably these other details that have
to be dealt with, which BTW have zero to do with
what sort of modulation you use. For example, *even*
if the older Freeview boxes with dual conversion
tuners had worked in Mark Schubin's apartment, it's
possible or likely that the newer single conversion
ones would not.

If ATI chips are already out there, and presumably
better than LG 5th gen, why aren't we receiving rave
reviews?

I seriously wonder when the whining about not having
adopted COFDM will end on this list.