[opendtv] Re: First look at ATSC HD Broadcast

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:05:13 -0400

I think it IS the decoder overhead.  With 720p@24 Xvid will play
just fine on my 2.4 GHz P4 and almost okay at lower bit rates on
my 833 MHz P3.  X264 will not.

I do not believe either codec is using any extra hardware
acceleration from the video card for these tests and both would be
sending an equal number of video bytes to the display.  So I have
to assume it is a difference in the decoders, though maybe not
just in the basic algorithms.

Speed in these things is a function of both the CPU and (greatly)
the memory bandwidth between all of RAM, video memory, and the
CPU.  When writing video filters on Intel platforms much of my
optimization is just trying to minimize memory access delay.

- Tom