[opendtv] Re: First look at ATSC HD Broadcast

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 23:49:34 -0700

You've have the timing wrong, John. The fact is that strong objections
were raised before the NAB/MSTV test report was accepted. Also, the
results of  the subsequent highly succesful COFDM receiver demonstration,
using a band pass filter, was also available before the final report's
adoption
( I did actually attend those meetings, unlike most others on this list).

To my knowledge, Sinclair had no prior knowledge of the detailed
COFDM receiver's design until the preliminary test report was made
available. I also first became aware of the selectivity deficiency upon
reading that report. During the subsequent test review meeting we both
made strong objections.

You are correct that the receiver was offered by it's manufacturer but
any objective reasonably competent test engineer would have know that
outboard filtering was required*. I don't know how many on this list are
aware of the fact that Zenith was fully involved in planning the technical
aspects of these test (another fact) and clearly knew the short comings
of the competing receiver. The objectivity of this process was tainted
from it's inception. Before testing, the COFDM receiver's performance
was checked and certified by the CRC, a highly regarded Canadian laboratory.
However, a selectivity test was not specified and therefore was not
included.

One can nit pick the time line and criticize the fact that these tests
didn't
include distant measurements but I don't believe that the fact that this
testing was faulty, can be factually refuted.

*Note:
For many years analog TV station field measurements were often made
using a similar monitor/receiver made by Tektronix. It was often used for
both transmitter and field measurements and therefore had no internal
filters.
Selectivity was always added outboard when used to make field
measurements in congested RF areas.
This issue is fundamental and is very well understood by those who make
such  measurements, clearly including those from MSTV and Zenith.