[opendtv] Re: FCC Eliminates Simulcast Rules

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:59:07 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Most broadcasters could care less, since they
> understand that OTA DTV is not going to have any
> real audience impact for many years to come.

Broadcasters expecting to stay in business probably
think beyond the day when NTSC is shut down. This
transition was never meant to be purely voluntary.

> Now, exactly what incentives exist for local
> broadcasters or the networks to accelerate the day
> when the NTSC service will be shut off?

Where is it written that they have a say in this?
The transition can happen 1/1/2007, using the rules
the FCC wrote down in 1996. The question is what
should broadcasters do after NTSC is shut off, not
whether or not they would prefer to retain their
analog channel. And it's going to be Congress and
consumers that determine when analog gets shut down,
not broadcasters.

> Why SHOULD they use this tool? The networks are
> NOT ignoring you. They are exploiting you. They
> can ill afford to lose you as a viewer,

Craig, the networks are competing entities. Given
that all OTA users will soon be on DTT exclusively,
what do these competing entities do? I mean, as
their best solution for the FTA sector they serve?
You have no suggestion for them, other than status
quo and hope the competing network won't be any
more imaginative. I'm guessing the networks can do
better, and I'm betting they've already figured
this out.

The "exploiting" part is hilarious, BTW.

> This was abundantly clear at the recent Emmy's.
> It looks like the plan is to get people to PAY
> for the good stuff. The good news is that MOST
> people are comfortable with this.

Apparently, you got that part backwards still.
The analysis you enthusiastically posted said
exactly the opposite of what you continue to
claim. The analysis said that while the Emmys
might have gone disproportionally to premium
programs, no one in the viewing audience gave a
hoot. Because, so said your posted analysis,
people aren't watching these premium shows!
They can't relate to shows they never see!

Somehow, some way, you think this supports
your position?

> Yes, it is negotiable. But it means further
> dilution of the broadcast network audiences.

I would expect that an intelligent executive at
any of the major networks would rather have
his audience be "diluted" from, say, ABC-1 to
ABC-2, rather than from ABC to another
network's multicasts. The ad revenues from ABC
multicasts still end up in ABC's bank account.