[opendtv] Re: DTV Channel Assignments

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:14:13 -0700

Reply interlineated....

John wrote:
>I knew as much, really.

I thought as much.

>What I'm getting at is something Doug
> McDonald mentions on a regular basis - we don't have a mult-path
> problem, per say, but a low signal problem.  Correct me if I'm wrong,
> but I believe there are very few stations running at or near full
> power.

As I recall, just over half the stations* are at full power and in major
markets, where large number of viewers reside, the vast majortity of
stations are indeed at full power. These markets are where much of
the high power reception problems exist and it requires a
very good all around receiver to solve these issues; increasing power
could simply exacerbate this reception problems.

John Shutt made a good case that, where people use indoor
antennas, low signal level multipath is often a problem but I don't
believe this to be the main problem in many metro areas. I suspect
that the availability of good 5G type receivers might solve many of
the problems where the signal is simply near the *margin* and echos
are within the equalizer window. Clearly more signal would also
help but if the station is currently operating at maximum, that isn't
an option - short of improving the receiving antenna system

Doug's point regarding low signal level is certainly correct, in many
cases, but he tends to see this problem as that single issue; the one
which exists in his back yard.

>And all the while, we blame reception problems on multi-path.

We don't always blame reception problems on multipath but as
Sencor reports, it is a significant problem and one where "new science"
and five years of develpment was required to satisfy the more difficult
problem areas.

*NOTE:
There should be an increase in the number of full power stations in the
very near future. The FCC adopted a policy of "use it or loose it" which
has a date certain for most station operating on low power STAs.