[opendtv] Re: DTV Channel Assignments

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:56:02 -0500

Bill Hogan wrote:
> We can
> never have a successful DTV off-air system with a mixture of VHF and UHF in
> the same city.

Why? I don;t see any reason why not. I do, of course, see a reason
with low VHF, at the present power levels and error correction levels.

> What is the worst problem with 8-VSB? Yes it is multi path.

NO NO NO ... you seem to have some misapprehension here. The screaming
of a very tiny number of people is "multipath" but in the REAL world,
it is power level.

> Hey Mark you want to put a LOW VHF frequency directional antenna in your
> living room?
> Yes folks might be happy to install a small UHF TV band antenna on their
> roof. Cheap and small.
> How many want to put up a VHF antenna?

Lots .... if it got them free HDTV and they live in rural areas.

You seem to have the idea that everybody lives in a "city".

Low VHF will be ideal for Montana and Alaska. True, it will be better
to use higher powers than are now postulated for digital ...
average powers in the 200-300 kW range for low VHF would be best.

Doug McDonald