[opendtv] Re: DTV Channel Assignments

  • From: dgrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:43:28 -0700

"How many want to put up a VHF antenna?  Did any broadcaster reading this
now on LOW band VHF select this channel for their permanent assignment?"
-Bill Hogan

Most of the DTV channels in Las Vegas are on VHF, and one on LOW band VHF
(DTV channels: 2,7,9,11,12,22,29).  I'm not sure why.  I would love to hear
from someone who knows.

I erected a rather large VHF/UHF directional antenna on my roof and wired
my house for reception in most rooms.  But I'm not sure I needed to go to
all that trouble.  I moved my receiver/computer and while I was making a
new RG-6 cable, I connected up some rabbit ears. Guess what; I received all
but one DTV station with plain old rabbit ears, without any tweaking of the
antenna!  And I am using a first or second generation receiver (MyHD
MDP-100)!

I should explain a couple of things.  First, Las Vegas is a nicely cupped
valley with the transmitters on two peaks, 35 degrees apart.  Second, I am
only about 10 miles from the transmitters.  But, I get TERRIBLE analog
reception: noise, ghosts, interference, and more.  The reason I put the new
directional antenna on the roof was to get better ANALOG reception (I
didn't have a DTV receiver yet).  I am also less than a mile from the
airport and the RF level is ridiculously high.  Conclusion: I was surprised
to get better DTV reception than NTSC reception.

But I know that this is not the norm.

Dan Grimes