[opendtv] Re: DTV Channel Assignments

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:37:26 -0400

Mark Schubin wrote:

> Channel 2 in NY is analog.

Right, thanks. You did say that all DTT channels were
UHF in NYC.

> Channel 2's associated DTT is on channel 56.  It
> comes inb reasonably well here, but before the 5th
> generation boxes, it could not be received atop my
> set nor anywhere that I could pick up DTT on
> channel 44.

My interpretation of these results would be that if
the 5th gen chip makes the difference in achieving
reception, then COFDM would most likely have worked.
Because the problem must have been echo range. In
your case in particular, where only reflected signals
are used for indoor reception, any receiver unable to
stand pre-echo will be seriously handicapped. Which
means all receivers before 4th gen for sure. And
COFDM, which always had symmetric tolerance range,
would likely have worked well.

But if the LG prototype worked very well but these
newer variants do not, then the issue cannot be echo
tolerance per se, but rather something related to
the tuner. In which case, COFDM would not be the
solution, but rather a decent front end.