[opendtv] Re: DTV Channel Assignments

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:26:01 -0400

Since this post spawned some tangential replies, I'd
like to make a couple of more focused replies.

Bill Hogan wrote:

> With the STUPID notion that the FCCset in law and
> the INDUSTRY allowed to happen  stations could
> choose to stay on their ANALOG VHF frequency
> assignment instead of moving EVERYONE to UHF, as
> was done in Europe.

As far as I can tell, only the UK has stopped using
UHF for TV. Germany, for example, is using VHF in
DTT. See

http://www.mabb.de/bilder/Projektbericht_engl.pdf

"Furthermore, VHF reception (Band III) had to be
ensured, the sets had to be more advanced compared
to DTT receivers employed elsewhere."

Italy uses VHF as well, although I don't know
if they plan on going to UHF only after the DTT
transition is over. Ditto with France. Don't
know their plans either.

In parts of the US where very long range is
required, broadcasters seem keen on retaining VHF.
Alaska being one example.

> What is the worst problem with 8-VSB? Yes it is
> multi path.  And at what frequency is multi path
> the worst?  Yes it is with the lowest frequency
> VHF channels.

Why is multipath worst with VHF? I thought the
main problems with VHF, especially low VHF, are
all the noise and interference down there, and
greater attenuation when squeezing through windows
if you're using rabbit ears. But as to multipath,
if anything, I'd expect it to be less severe.
Simply because smaller objects which cause
reflections at UHF frequencies are invisible to
VHF.

So I agree with Doug that the problem with indoor
reception of VHF probably has a lot more to do
with power levels than with multipath per se.
Compared with UHF indoor reception, that is.

> Yes folks might be happy to install a small UHF
> TV band antenna on their roof. Cheap and small.
> How many want to put up a VHF antenna?

Sure, I agree with this. But there are two sides
to every coin. The small antenna is nice, but the
small aperture of the UHF antenna is what creates
the greater propagation loss compared with VHF.