[opendtv] Re: DTV Channel Assignments

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:46:49 -0700

Well, the market has historically had the highest penetration of cable in
the U.S. for a few decades, due to terrain blocking NTSC reception.

I frankly don't hear much complaints about signal levels, and the
engineering staffs at TV stations don't hear much complaints these days.  I
do note that my old B2c2 card has trouble picking up stations near the
transmitter sites -- when I'm in Mexico, I can't get the fox station there,
but it comes in fine in the U.S. and I get all the San Diego digital
stations -- with only one problematic.

 When I'm in Paradise Hills -- near the UHF site in San Diego -- I have
trouble getting the U.S. stations there.

Signal to Noice Ratio -- I'm sorry, but I would be embarrased to quote a
"quality" figure -- ranges from 16.9 to 28 dB or so.

My antenna?  It's always the same one.  The lower portion of an FM antenna,
laid out horizontally.  Non-directional; and not suitable for an FM antenna,
let alone a TV one.  It's closer to a lead-in for an antenna than an
antenna.